Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Why I love the Traditional Latin Mass"


I’m home!  As you may have noted, I spent the weekend with a group of AWESOME people, doing AWESOME things, like going to daily Mass, listening to wonderful talks, and taking beer and brat cruises.  More on that another time.  It pertains to this post, but is not the subject of it. 
The subject of this post is “Why I love the Traditional Latin Mass.” Oh, you noticed that from the title?  Ok than.  I was working on this post before I left, but never got it finished.  Truth told, I don’t know if I could ever finish such a subject.  So I decided to recruit a little help.  I asked my friends from Sursum Corda to write down, in a short paragraph, why they love the Traditional Latin Mass, a.k.a. the Tridentine Mass, a.k.a. the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, a.k.a. the TLM.  Here are there replies (along with their ages, to forever dispel the myth that the TLM is for old people, nostalgic for their youth.) 

“There are so many things I love about the Traditional Mass that it is difficult to cut it short, but I'll try!  I'll just chose one thing. One of the many things I love about the Tridentine Mass is that it is timeless.  When I am at this Mass, I know that the words that are being said by the priest are the same as those that were once used by all of Christendom.  They were used by St. Thomas Aquinas, St John Vianney, St. Edmund Campion, and Pope St. Pius XII.  As G. K. Chesterton says, "It is of new things that men tire – of fashions and improvements and change.  It is the old things that startle and intoxicate. It is the old things that are young."” --Audrey, 20

“I love the extraordinary form of the Mass because of the reverence it inspires and the way it leads you to a more internal experience of the Holy Mass.  The music, the language, and the rituals point you to the deeper reality of what is really going on during the Mass of Christ’s Sacrifice for our salvation.” -- Joanna, 26

“It is comforting to go to. I feel closer to God.  Definitely I am in love with the reverence and beauty.”  -- Ruthanne, 18

“To know the Latin Mass is to know the history of Western Civilization.  The liturgy is the hope of our time, as it has been for the ages.  The Latin Mass is Home.” -- Petra, 21

“Love the reverence and solemnity that lift up your heart to Him.  Embracing both the sensible and the spiritual sides of our human existence, the Extraordinary Form of the Mass excels at using the more sensible things like art and music to take you to the higher, less physically sensible things of God.” -- Fabian, 25

“One of my favorite things about the Latin Mass is its universality.  It isn’t for one place or another...it is for the whole world.” -- Maddie, 24

I know I cannot say it better than these, but I will add my own.  I love the Extraordinary form because it is extraordinary.  It is beyond the ordinary.  It transcends both time and place.  It is capable of inspiring awe, reverence, and contemplation.  I think one of the things I love the most, that I do not find in the Ordinary form, is the silence.  The silence holds the words sacred, as never using God’s name aloud kept it sacred for the Jews.  The silence allows me to focus on lifting my mind and heart and sacrifices to God, along with Christ’s sacrifice of the Cross. -- Rae, 26

Please, share why you love the Tridentine Mass. You don’t have to add your age, but I think it does help to show that the appeal of the TLM is not confined to any one age group.  God Bless! 

1 comment:

  1. Simply put the Traditional Latin Mass is to me: Unifying, Timeless, and Enduring... Beautiful, Anchoring, and Sustaining...Sacred, True, and Fulfilling...

    ReplyDelete