Wednesday, September 12, 2012

To Thine Own Self Be True


It’s been awhile since I’ve had that strong urge to blog something worthwhile.  But this article by Simcha Fisher on The National Catholic Register rather inspired me this morning:This Isn't Who I Really Am! 
Now this is something that I’ve wanted to blog about for awhile - being yourself.  I’ve started a few posts, but never really finished.  Probably because I never really felt that I know who I am.  Every time I think I know, something happens and I realize “you know, that x isn’t as important to me as I thought.”  Then something else happens and I start thinking “wow, I’m glad y happened or z happened, because now I realize that x is really important to me!”  HA! 
Now there are some things that I DO NOT compromise on.  Truth, for example.  I am Catholic.  That is what I am, and who I am.  Not always the best Catholic, grant you, but I try. I’m going to stop there, because the last time I tried to write on this topic, I rather got lost in the whole purpose of life thing - to know, love, and serve God.  Long story short, the question is HOW?
Reading “This isn’t Who I really Am!” made me realize that this IS who I really am.  Adaptable, people pleasing, ever changing, whatever you want to call it.  There are things I enjoy.  Lots of things.  There are things I love to do.  Some of these things I know will likely be forever out of my reach here on earth.  Other things seem fairly possible.  I am shy - can’t really do anything about that.  I am outspoken and stubborn in certain situations.  I really like talking and sharing with people.  I really do feel more comfortable being uncomfortable than making someone else uncomfortable.  With a few exceptions, of course.  Injustice makes me angry.  Low blood sugar makes me impatient.  
Where does God want me?  Well, whether I like it or not, right where I am.  And chances are, circumstances won’t change me much.  For example, I probably always will put off doing dishes almost as much as I do now, even if I find a job where I’m not washing dishes for 60+ people a day.  Although there was that couple of weeks where I was really good at getting ALL the dishes done after every meal....so maybe there is hope for me yet! I do well in streaks.  But you know what?  There are things in life more important than dishes.  Like rocking a baby, or making a pan of bars for the neighbors.  PEOPLE, I hope, will always be more important to be than the dishes.  Oh, and I do tend to digress often, and I ramble.  Would I be me if I didn’t?  Nope.  I also wouldn’t be me if I didn’t apologize.  So sorry. 
Until we are in a situation, we don’t know how we will react.  And sometimes we aren’t true to ourselves, or to others.  We may say things we don’t mean to impress someone.  Or we may say things we don’t mean to make them more comfortable.  Sometimes it is much better if we AREN’T ourselves.  Being polite often means biting your tongue.  And there is nothing wrong with living up to someone else’s standards, like when you are visiting Great Aunt Catherine, who insists that young ladies should not run around or speak loudly, or tease their brothers.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do.  Of course, if the Romans are behaving below your own standards, just be yourself.  It is never good to lower your standards (providing you know your standards are at a good hight, of course, and as long as you are charitable, ALWAYS charitable, towards those with lower standards.) 
So, that turned into a ramble, as usual.  Ah well.  That’s just who I am.  Someday I will write a well-thought-out and coherent article, like the one linked above.  But don’t expect it to show up here.  I am, after all, The Rambling Amateur! God Bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment